Winter has its charms, but there’s nothing like the spring. After being cooped up indoors for months, the promise of longer warmer days invites a person to get out and explore new things. It’s especially important for elderly people to take advantage of the warmer weather to break out of the winter routine. If you’re providing senior care for a loved one, here are a few spring activities you can share together.
- Take a Walk — You may have heard that walking has tremendous health benefits. Well, it’s all true! Walking is great exercise, and it’s low impact so it’s a perfect workout for seniors. Join your loved one for a walk around the neighborhood or a nearby park, and you’ll enjoy the benefits as well.
- Make a Social Call — After months of talking to friends and family through electronic devices, spring presents the perfect opportunity to see loved ones face-to-face. You can help the senior in your life by making the arrangements, and providing transportation. Bring snacks and drinks and you can turn the visit into a full-fledged party!
- Gardening — Planting and working in a garden is an ideal hobby for the elderly. It requires them to work with their hands, and really connect with the outdoors. Not only is this good for exercise, but it’s a tremendous mood booster as well. Also, enjoying the look and smell of flowers you’ve grown yourself is a very rewarding experience.
- Learn Something New — Life is about learning and experiencing new things. As a retired person, your loved one finally has the time to learn a skill they’ve always wanted to explore. Perhaps they’d like to learn how to paint or sculpt. Maybe they’d prefer learning a new language. Whatever their interests, you can probably find a class available at a nearby community college or senior center.
- Spring Cleaning — Nothing says “spring” like cleaning the whole house from top to bottom. For seniors, however, this can be a difficult or impossible thing to do on their own. You can help with their spring clean by taking over the more strenuous jobs. Not only can this actually be a fun thing to do together, but you’ll make their home a safer and healthier place to live.
Senior Care Experts in Dayton, OH
However you plan to spend time with your elderly family member, they’ll appreciate the fact that you care enough to look out for their wellbeing. Of course, you may not always have the time and energy to watch over their health and happiness all the time.
At Home Care Assistance of Dayton, OH, we can work with you to come up with a senior care plan that meets the needs of your loved one, and the schedule and budget of you and your family.
For more information about our senior care services, call today for a free consultation.